Tuesday, March 31, 2009

There's a Spider In My Bed

So sweet, yet so heartbreaking...

For the first time last night (or should I say at 4:30 this morning), Quinn was able to tell us about one of her dreams. Well, the heartbreaking part was that it was actually a nightmare.

As I said, at 4:30 this morning Quinn crept into our room and to Kirch's side of the bed. Her muffled cry woke me up and I realized she was talking to Kirch. He took her back over to her room, where I just assumed she would go back to sleep and we'd see her again in the (later) morning. Ten minutes later, she climbed up into bed with us, and settled in for sleep. I thought this was strange of Kirch to let her do this because we are pretty strict about her not sleeping with us over night. But I was too tired to argue it, so I let it go. Then, the words came out of her still as sobs that melted my heart... "There was a spider... with red eyes." My poor baby had her first nightmare that she remembered! How much does that suck? I gave her a big hug, Kirch climbed into bed, and we all settled in for a few more hours sleep.

When we all got up for the day, Kirch filled me in on the rest of the overnight episode. Quinn had pottied through her diaper onto her bed and he didn't feel like changing the sheets, which is why she got to sleep with us (I would've done the same thing!). He also told me that when he had taken her back to her room to change her PJ's, she told him the big spider with red eyes was still in her bed. What a creepy dream! I'd be running to my parents' bed, too, if I had a dream like that!

Even in the morning after we got her dressed and ready for daycare she was telling us about the red eyed spider in her bed. It was a tough story to hear, but one I'll never forget. I have to say, I'm glad we're still at that stage when we can make everything better for her.

No comments: