Sunday, March 30, 2008

Molars

For weeks now, Quinn has been putting her hands up against her ears - sometimes one hand to one ear, sometimes both. We've been to see the doctor twice in the past 2 weeks (once for a cold, once for her 2 year checkup) and the doctor says her ears are fine. She never ever complains - we've just noticed it happening, and so has daycare. We figured it's probably due to her 2 year molars coming in. YEP! Sure enough, out of curiosity the other day, i had Quinn open her mouth to show me her teeth, and there it was - her bottom left molar had popped through the gum! Three more to go!

This kid is so tough, let me tell you. She never complains when she's sick - if she gets hurt, she cries for about 3 minutes and is over it. So other than her holding her ears now and then, we'd never have known she was ready to cut teeth...

Let me give you some examples of how tough she is - and I say this as an amazed bystander, not as a proud parent. When we were in Phoenix last month at the zoo, she was standing up on the fence looking at the giraffes. We kept telling her "honey, don't do that, quit climbing up there, you're going to hurt yourself." Well, that's the kiss of death because no sooner did we say that, she slipped off the bottom rung of the fence and as she was coming down, her chin caught the bar and she bit her tongue - hard. When you bite your tongue, it bleeds a LOT. She cried for about 2 minutes, let us put some pressure on it, and that was it. The other kids were eating popsicles, so that's what she wanted to do, too! That was the last we heard of the tongue-biting incident. Yesterday, we headed to the mall and i took her (stroller and all) into the changing room. On our way out, I don't know how, but she hit her eye on... well, what, i don't know. Immediately she started crying. I didn't even know what happened, so I told her to show me where to kiss it to make it better. She gave me her head, so I assumed she'd bumped her head somehow. A minute later (literally), she stopped crying, so that was that. The next thing I knew, she had this knot on her right eyebrow! I mean, OW!!! I'd had put up more of a fuss than a minute or two worth of crying!

She never ceases to amaze me, how much she can take. I mean, I've seen kids - hell, I've seen adults with lower pain thresholds than my child! Where does it come from? Because I know I'm a sissy :-)

Here is a quick shot of our day at Tyson's Corner play area. She had a blast!

I can handle this silly bear!

No comments: