Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Brutal Night

Last night was... trying, to say the least. Most nights Quinn is a pretty good sleeper. For whatever reason, not so much last night! She went down pretty good for Kirch at 8pm and then at 10pm she woke up crying. I went in to comfort her, and figured she was probably having a night terror because she was crying for "mommy" but when I'd try to pick her up, she'd push me away and ask for mommy again. Finally she let me pick her up and I rocked her for a few minutes and put her back down to bed. Ten minutes later she's up crying again - so Kirch brought her into our bed and we tried unsuccessfully for about an hour-and-a-half to get her to sleep. Why is it that if we are in a new place and she doesn't want to sleep in her Pack & Play, she will come into the bed with us and promptly fall asleep, but when we're home in familiar surroundings, she will NOT sleep in our bed??? Finally by midnight I'd had enough and brought her back to her crib... ohhhh, she didn't like that one bit. I explained to her that it was night time and we all needed to get some sleep. I closed the door behind me and listened to her cry for 15 minutes. That awful "how come you left me?" cry - it's brutal! She quieted down and so I went back to bed. Not 10 minutes later she started crying again! We waited it out for another 10 minutes and FINALLY she fell asleep until this morning. I'm exhausted!

I hate letting her "cry it out," but I was desperate for at least a few hours sleep, so she really left us no choice. I really believe if we would've went in there to get her, we would've just gotten into the cycle of calming her down until we put her in bed, and then she would've started crying all over again. Part of me feels like a lousy mom when I won't go in and comfort my own child. But part of me is so desperate to rest so that we all can function properly in the morning that I feel like there is no other choice!

At least Quinn is forgiving. She woke up this morning and played with Kirch until he left, in which she kissed him goodbye. I took her to daycare and she kissed me goodbye before I left. So I know she still loves us and doesn't hold a grudge - yet!

It is SO hard to say no to a face like that!!!

No comments: