Friday, November 30, 2007

Knot What We Wanted for Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving with Quinn this year was really... a lot of work! It was wonderful, but the girl is becoming a handful, that's for sure! Thursday afternoon at Paula's was really a fun time. Kudos to Paula for working her tail off all day (and probably days before to prepare) for a great meal. As she said, all that prep, and it's over in the matter of 45 minutes! But it was wonderful and Quinn helped me eat all of my turkey and veggies. We forgot her booster seat, so it made for a challenging meal, let me tell you! She sat on my lap and even though she can use her fork pretty well, she still likes to get her hands into her food, which subsequently was my food, too!

She was good company to the boys, and finally, finally gave Chris a little bit of attention! The whole week in NC, Chris continually got snubbed by his little cousin. She wouldn't give him a High-5, nothing. Well, he finally got the "fist pound" on Thanksgiving night, so I think she's back in his good graces now :-)



Friday morning we headed up to PA to spend an evening with the crazy Rudzik Family. We played a mean game of Charades, and Quinn was so enthralled in the action she absolutely refused to go to bed until a little before 10pm, when she finally just completely melted down. She slept wonderfully in her Pack & Play, which gives us hope that she will sleep well when we're in MI next month for a week for Christmas. Fingers crossed!

Saturday morning Quinn, Mike and I were on the landing of the stairs just chatting and playing when it happened. With Mike and I literally inches away from her, she took a tumble head-first into the stair rail. That girl developed a knot on her forehead the size of Kansas - well, at least the size of a Robin egg. It was huge! As soon as it happened, Mike grabbed her and started saying, "Shake it off!" But we both knew by the sound of that "thud" that it was gonna be a good one. And it was! Quinn cried (of course) as I brought her down the back stairs into the kitchen, and her head swelled up immediately. Well, I have to say - that girl is as tough as nails. She stopped crying after maybe 5 minutes and wanted to climb back up the stairs! Kirch and I, on the other hand, were trying to force a little cold compress to her head. Well... she wanted absolutely NONE of that! She cried harder and longer because her parents were just trying to ease the swelling! So we gave it up and after another 15 minutes, she was absolutely fine, playing like nothing ever happened. I'll admit right now if I were the one to smack my head like that, I'd be out for the rest of the day. My girl was right back at it within a half hour, totally oblivious to the emotional scar that spill left on Kirch and me!

Saturday afternoon, after the Rudziks headed out, the Kirchers and the Beavers came up for dinner. Quinn was a bit more difficult for this dinner. She was hours past her nap time and didn't want to go down. It proved to be a very trying meal, and finally we gave up and I took her upstairs and gave her her nap. She fought it a bit, but after about 5 minutes of crying, she was out like a light and I was finally able to eat some HOT food!

The rest of Saturday was great. Quinn was a joy to be around all day. She played and was not shy around anyone the whole weekend. She was a blast! She loved being outside, even though it was pretty damn cold up there! She's continually learning at a rate that is unreal. Her dexterity is getting very good. She's close to zipping up her own coat! She wants to so badly, but still gets a bit frustrated with trying to actually get the zipper together. She's a pro at UNZIPPING, though!

Quinn slept great Saturday night, and it gave me, Kirch, Rachel, Mike and Chris some time to hang out and chat. But the previous evening of Charades proved to be too exhausting for Rachel and me, so we left the group at about 9:30 to turn in. I never even heard Kirch come to bed, I was so out!

Sunday morning, we took another walk outside with Quinn and played in the leaves some more. The colors were beautiful - most of the leaves are off the trees now, but it was still pretty to see them all on the ground, with a bright blue sky up above.

Aside from the knot, the whole weekend was a great one. Holidays with the Kirchers are always memorable. I have a good family. I am lucky.

No comments: