Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Welcome President Obama!

What an amazing day! It all started at breakfast at a hotel restaurant in Dupont Circle (of which the name escapes me) with Bill and Dorothy. There we were, with about 3 other tables occupied in the place, all minding our own business and enjoying the delicious food, when none other than Former President Jimmy Carter and his wife Rosalyn walk in! How surreal... He was very gracious, shaking our hands and saying his hellos while the Secret Service followed close behind and made their way through the restaurant. We all left them alone to eat their breakfast and then when we were getting ready to leave, I caught his eye and he smiled at me, and then engaged in a short conversation with all three of us. It really was a great, great surprise, and quite an honor! I did refrain from pulling out my camera, although it crossed my mind more than once...

Afterwards, Bill left Dorothy and me to fight the crowds and make our way Downtown. We walked and made it down to 13th and Pennsylvania before we hit the blockades. We had tickets to a standing area at the Mall, but we couldn't even make our way down there - and BOY WAS IT COLD!!! So after 2 hours or so of trying to move forward, we finally just resorted to going over to the Reagan Building and attending the American Ireland Fund Luncheon where we thawed out, ate good food and watched the whole thing unfold on big screen TVs they had set up throughout the room.

As the swearing in of Biden took place, I felt the tears welling up in my eyes. This was history in the making and we were about to have our first African-American President! Then it was Obama's turn. I distinctly remember not feeling quite as overwhelmed because the words were a little bit jumbled, and there was a little laughter, but still it was really something to see it happen - finally! And then his speech made me feel hopeful in this dark time for America. I cried thinking that for the first time in a long time I have hope for my daughter and the people of this country. I think he is a very brilliant man who will be able to help us out of this sadness - it will not be easy and he will piss off a lot of people in the process, but I have faith that he will make good decisions for the well-being of this country. I hope so, anyway!

We stood out on the balcony as the day grew colder and colder to wait for a glimpse of Barack and Michelle - but unfortunately all we got was a little glimpse of Michelle's arm and hand waiving from inside the limo. It's understanding that they didn't walk the whole way from the Capitol Building to the White House! TOO DAMN COLD!

I was shocked to see that when we left at 5pm to get on the metro to head home that it really was like a normal rush hour day. It was said that about 1.8 million made it down there to see history unfold. I will always be thankful that I did it - and hopefully I can impress the magnitude of this onto Quinn someday when she is old enough to understand how really special a day it was for me - and millions of others who, deep down, believe we can still find it within ourselves to be a good nation.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

this sounds like a great day! i wish i was there! but burrrrrr!!!!