Friday, June 27, 2008

Big Girl Bed

We did it - Wednesday night Kirch took apart Quinn's crib and we introduced her to her "big girl bed," which is a double bed mattress on the floor. No box spring, no frame. We figured we'd start small - if she rolls off, she's only got 6 inches to fall. Hell, she could sleep through it - half on, half off!

I was SO excited to get her into a big bed. But I have to admit, as the crib came apart and we got her new bed made and were getting ready for her first night in it, i was a little bit sad. It was the end of the "baby" era. She is never going to sleep in a crib again! How is it that my child is 2 years old already?

She really has done a great job in her own bed these past 2 nights. On Wednesday night, Kirch and I both put her to bed. Usually we switch off every other night. But we both laid on her new bed with her and read her a couple of stories to get her comfortable. She was so excited all day about it, but when the moment of truth came, I could hear the anxiousness in her little voice. After story #2, Kirch did step out so I could turn out the light and lay with her to make her comfortable. Once I left, it didn't take long for her to stand at her closed bedroom door and cry, "Mommy! Mommyeeeeeee!" She doesn't try to open her door, which surprises me, because she always tries to open my closet doors and the bathroom doors all the time. Anyway, after about 5 rounds of this, the last time I tucked her in, that was it. She'd fallen alseep, and it didn't take me laying in there with her! All told, the whole process took about an hour. Not bad for Night #1.

Me and all my favorite things!

Last night I had my last work softball game, so Kirch had the duty all to himself. He said it took about 4 or 5 tries, but only a total of about 45 minutes for her to fall asleep. She did wake up at about 3am, so I went in to lay with her. Less than 10 minutes later, she was back out and I headed back to bed until I heard her calling for me at 20-to-7 this morning. We're gonna be fine...

A bunch of doll babies!

So she's potty trained (save a couple of accidents here and there) and in a big girl bed. We are heading home to MI next week, and Poppy and Manka are going to see a whole different side of their granddaughter!!!

Sacked out - it's a beautiful thing!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

so cute! what a big girl! Love the big girl bed!